X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Bundle RFC-66 support inside PARs

I've just tried out the latest dm Server 2.0 and migrated a few web modules (now deprecated) to web bundles(RFC-66) manually.

But I'm noticing that in order to run web bundles(RFC-66 kind) the following is required:
    * Compiled classes need to be placed in the /WEB-INF/classes directory.
    * And the bundle has to have a .war extension.

I'm assuming all this is in accordance with the spec RFC-66. But it left me wondering about the tool support.

If I assign a bundle(once web module) to a PAR project. When I generate the PAR, by default all bundles have their classes placed in the root of the bundle, in addition, all bundles have a .jar extension. If I then drop the PAR into dm Server(with RFC-66 container) it of course fails ( no .war extension and it cant read the classes of /WEB-INF/classes)

Is there some workaround to specifying where a bundle places its compiled classes and its extension ? Or will a new 'web bundle project' be added in future dm Server tools to support this?

I almost found a workaround by creating a standard WAR via a 'Web-Dynamic Web Project'. This places the compiled classes inside /WEB-INF/classes/ and assigns a .war extension, just added a MANIFEST.MF . However, I realized PAR projects only have the option of adding bundles. Perhaps 'unlocking' the 'Add or remove bundle dependencies to the PAR' option to show this. Just a thought.

Thanks for any info on how this might be supported in future version of the tools.

drubio,

with STS 2.1.0.RC1 you can now add "Dynamic Web Projects" that also have the Bundle Nature to a PAR.

This has been added to support RFC66 complaint web projects.

Let me know if that is what you are looking for.

Christian

Comment

Christian,

Correct, that's exactly what I was looking for. I was using STS 2.1.0.M1 so I didn't have this functionality.

I downloaded STS 2.1.0.RC1 and tried it out, however, its not entirely working.

While I can now add a "Dynamic Web Projects" with a Bundle Nature to a PAR. When I export a PAR, the contents are mangled. The output is the following:
      * The bundle has a .jar extension ( not .war )
      * Only the manifest.mf file is present and the classes are in the root directory (not /WEB-INF/classes ).
      * It apparently mangles /WEB-INF/ and all the other configuration files.

It appears to be a bug in the PAR export, because if I do a direct 'Export WAR' on the "Dynamic Web Projects" with a Bundle Nature the contents of the exported WAR are correct.(Directory structure, configuration files,.war extension,etc).

(I should point out I'm getting a warning on the "Dynamic Web Projects" with a Bundle Nature, though I don't know if it could be related to this mangling in the export PAR process. the warning is:
      Classpath entry com.springsource.server.ide.jdt.core.MANIFEST_CLAS SPATH_CONTAINER will not be exported or published. Runtime ClassNotFounExceptions may result.) )

Comment

drubio,

you found a bug in the Export wizard and its support for WAR files. I raised a JIRA to track this problem:

STS-243: Support RFC66 WARs in the PAR export wizard
        https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/STS-243

Thanks for reporting this issue. I'll make sure that we fix this for 2.1.0 GA.

Christian

Comment

Working...
        X