Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dm Server Tools and Rational Team Concert?

We're evaluating Rational's new TeamConcert product. It's Eclipse-based and has some powerful process management and source control features we're interested in. Since it's Eclipse-based installing the dm Server tooling was simple enough; unfortunately, while I'm able to create Bundle Project with no problem when I check them into the Jazz (Rational TeamConcert) source control and then extract them I lose the 'Bundle Dependency' metadata and said projects no long build.

I'm wondering if anyone else has successfully used the dm Server tools with Rational TeamConcert.

Thanks ... WkH

You might be missing some files under source control. Check if you've added the following:
    - .classpath
    - .project
    - .settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.xml

Comment

Originally posted by Joris Kuipers View Post
      You might be missing some files under source control. Check if you've added the following:
      - .classpath
      - .project
      - .settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.xml
      All of those files are under source control. What does the dm Server Tooling use to generate the 'Bundle Dependencies' icon/info in the project? That seems to be the crux of the problem. Sometimes I can close and reopen the project and then rebuild it and the 'Bundle Dependencies' will reappear but not always.

Comment

What does the dm Server Tooling use to generate the 'Bundle Dependencies' icon/info in the project? That seems to be the crux of the problem.
        The dependency resolution mechanism uses the project's META-INF/MANIFEST.MF to calculate the Bundle Dependencies classpath container. Can you check the Eclipse Error Log for any problems that might be related to the classpath container?

Thanks, Christian

Comment

Originally posted by Christian Dupuis View Post
          The dependency resolution mechanism uses the project's META-INF/MANIFEST.MF to calculate the Bundle Dependencies classpath container. Can you check the Eclipse Error Log for any problems that might be related to the classpath container?

Thanks, Christian
          Christian, checked the error logs but found nothing there related to the classpath container. What I find so odd is that everything works as expected UNTIL to project is put under Jazz source control, removed from the workspace and then extracted from Jazz source control. I've diff'ed the extracted files multiple times and never found any meaningful differences.

... WkH

Comment

Sorry, I'm running out of ideas now. I don't have access to a Team Concert installation right now so I can't give it a try myself.

I assume your are seeing this behavior only in Team Concert and not in standalone STS or Eclipse + dm Server Tools?

I'll see if I can get my hands on a copy/trial of Team Concert.

Christian

Comment

I assume your are seeing this behavior only in Team Concert and not in standalone STS or Eclipse + dm Server Tools?
              Yeah, it works fine with an Eclipse 3.4 + dm Server Tools and using CVS for version control.

I'm working with IBM support on the problem as well. They claim they were able to replicate the problem by creating a Bundle Project with a single simple class that depends on the OSGi LogService and then closing and reopening the project. The TeamConcert stuff is free for < 4 users, downloading it and replicating the problem is probably the path of least resistance. If you need any help doing that just let me know.

Comment

I thought that was the case until I just now when I created a new workspace and checked out one of my bundle projects - from CVS - into it and found that it was broken in the same way as the Team Concert projects.

Comment

Can you open a JIRA and attach your simple test project. Please also provide steps that usually reproduce the problem.

I'll try to reproduce and debug the problem.

Thanks

Christian

Comment

Actually I was just able to reproduce this by opening and closing a bundle project. Every other time (open/close cycle) the Bundle Dependencies classpath container would not come back to life.

Note, I have not started my Eclipse during my open and close exercise.

This problem will be solved in the next nightly build of the dm Server Tools.

Can you confirm that this was the problem that you are seeing?

Thanks

Christian

Comment

Actually I was just able to reproduce this by opening and closing a bundle project. Every other time (open/close cycle) the Bundle Dependencies classpath container would not come back to life.

Note, I have not started my Eclipse during my open and close exercise.

This problem will be solved in the next nightly build of the dm Server Tools.

Can you confirm that this was the problem that you are seeing?

Thanks

Christian
                      I can't reproduce that behavior myself but that is what the IBM support team says they saw. Also, per my previous post about CVS. Please disregard it. When I installed the latest Spring IDE and Spring dm Server tools in a clean Eclipse 3.4.0 it all worked fine with CVS. I will be happy to test the next nightly build in TeamConcert; can you point me to the appropriate update site?

Comment

can you point me to the appropriate update site?
                        Sure, try: http://static.springsource.com/proje...erver/nightly/

Christian

Comment

Hi,

I installed Rational Team Concert today and debugged the dm Server Tools running inside it. I fix a problem in the way the MANIFEST.MF was located in the project which only affects Team Concert environments.

This fix should be in the next nightly build.

Let me know if that fixed your problem.

Christian

Comment

Let me know if that fixed your problem.
                            Christian, I grabbed the latest nightly build and added it to a clean install of TeamConcert. I can't verify the fix because now I can't add a server, i.e., in the Servers view choosing New from the context menu and selecting a Spring dm Server doesn't allow me to configure where the dm Server is installed. It does add the server but when I open it I get a bunch of errors when I try to open the launch configuration.

... WkH

Comment

What errors do you get? Can you share your error log (only the relevant errors). Have you cleared your workspace?

Christian

Comment

Working...
                              X