Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrument Wily into dm-server

Hi,

We are moving to SpringSource dm-server for our application container and would like to instrument Introscope Wily into dm-server. We've successfully instrumented Wily in Tomcat and JBoss, but we're moving away from those app containers in favor of dm-server. Since dm-server uses java, I'd like to know if there is information somewhere that I can use as a reference to successfully instrument Wily into dm-server.

Thank you,

I'm not aware of any specific information, but I guess the approach will be similar to using other bytecode weaving profilers. See this thread for example for clues about setting boot delegation to get the right class loading behaviour.

Comment

Instrument Wily into dm-server

Hi,

Thank you for the link info. That helps. Now I am able to see some abbreviated metrics in Wily, but not all of them. In looking at the Console log output when I start the app, I am getting these errors now:

[2010-04-22 22:32:44.583] main <SPKB0002E> Start failed:
      org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Exception in org.eclipse.equinox.internal.cm.Activator.start() of bundle org.eclipse.equinox.cm.
      at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleCon textImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:102 8)
      Caused by: com.springsource.server.osgi.framework.ServerNoCla ssDefFoundError: com/wily/introscope/agent/probe/lang/ManagedThread in ServerBundleClassLoader: [bundle=org.eclipse.equinox.cm_1.0.0.v20080509-1800] in ServerBundleClassLoader: [bundle=org.eclipse.equinox.cm_1.0.0.v20080509-1800]
      at com.springsource.server.osgi.framework.equinox.Ser verBundleClassLoader.loadClass(ServerBundleClassLo ader.java:138)

I've verified that there is no Java mismatch between Wily and "dm-server" - they are using the same version of Java. I'd like to know what the "ServerNoClassDefFoundError" message is referring to. It looks like it might refer to a config issue, but I'm not sure what area in which to look. Any additional info on this error will help.

Thank you,

Jon

Comment

ServerNoClassDefFoundError is simply a dm Server 1.0.x exception which shows the bundle which encountered the class loading problem. So there's an underlying inability for the Equinox Config Admin bundle to load that particular class.

It seems that either the boot delegation property does not include the class's package or the class was not present in one of the JARs in the application class path.

Comment

Working...
        X