X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update of dm server running as client

Hi all, we are planning to deploy the dm server as a standlone running web server that can run with/without the central server available.
    What i would like to know is that is there a way i can update the dm Server on the client machines itself as an upgrade?
    Thanks in advance

I'm not sure I understand the use case. Do you want to apply updates to the dm Server code to the installations of dm Server on the clients? If so, dm Server does not support this, so you would have to write your own agent to perform the update.

Comment

update of dm server running as client

Glyn, thanks for the reply. let me clarify.
      I would have a dm server running as client on various desktops. An application on this would call web services from a remote application provider to fulfill some of the business functionalities.
      Assuming that Tomcat is also deployed as an OSGi bundle within dm Server. I was thinking that if required will it be possible for me to update the Tomcat version later if required. Eg. update from 5.5 to 6.1
      What i found from Equinox and other docs is that I can write a startup bundle that would start with the Equinox startup. This would contact a remote central repository to check for updates.
      This is what i am talking about http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/documents/quickstart.php
      So i can have a startup listener that would check for updates as soon as the Equinox platform starts and before the application starts i can update my client version and update if required.
      Please let me know your views on this.

Comment

I think this will pose considerable problems for two reasons.

Firstly, you would need to interfere with the dm Kernel's launch sequence and I cannot predict the effects of doing that. However, if you got it going, it shouldn't be a particular problem.

Secondly, the web support in dm Server is implemented against a particular level of Tomcat and it is not clear that replacing the Tomcat bundles will work. In particular, dm Server 2.0 relies upon a version of Tomcat 6 which includes changes backported from the Tomcat 7 line.

Comment

Working...
        X