Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• webdav in spring dm server

Hello,

We will need a webdav instance in our project acting as documents repository (for adobe) and we were thinking if is it possible to have it in our dm instance.
    Tomcat comes bundled with a webdav interface and my question is if we can have it also in dm server, and the second thing is if you recommend such architecture, or a separate server for handling the webDAV repository is more appropriate?

We will use jackrabbit to place the documents in the repository for the first time, and then the user can edit them using Adobe Acrobat webdav client.

Thanks in advance,
    Alex

We haven't tested the webdav function under dm Server, but we are not aware of anything which would prevent it from working.

As for the advisability of doing this in your existing dm Server instance, my main concern would be any contention between serving webdav requests and serving web requests. It's hard to predict whether there might be any performance bottlenecks, so I guess the best thing is to try it and see.

Of course, another downside is that if you do hit problems in a combined server, you'll always wonder whether they are due to some unexpected contention or perhaps functional interaction. So it's a trade off between maintaining a separate instance and potentially having these uncertainties.

Another obvious factor is if you need to recycle the one server instance for any particular reason - e.g. to upgrade - then you'll be forced to cause an outage for both webdav and web requests which may impact your users more than you would prefer.

Please post back here to let us know how you get on.

Comment

webdav on Spring dm

Hello Glyn,

first, thanks for your advice. Now, we've decided to go with webdav in the same dm instance, since the numer of concurrent users that will access the system is limited by business to max 20.

We checked with the default tomcat webdav configuration and we were able to make the service available.

I will keep this thread updated with our developments regarding the webdav service in the dm server.

Now we are facing a new challenging task: integrate jbpm into spring dm. Basically we need a flow engine/bpm available in our landscape. Do you have any proposals for this piece of service/app? I saw that spring flow is still in Incubator, but we need a mature solution.

regards,
      Alexandru
      Last edited by iga3k; Nov 13th, 2009, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X