X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC1 what git branch is it based on?

I noticed that there is a new 2.0.x branch in git.
    There was also a CI build of 2.1.0 noticed in the wild.

Which branch should I track for 2.0.x development leading towards 2.0.0 Final?
    I need that to keep Slices up to date locally.

The RC1 codebase is in the 2.0.x branch.

Comment

Thanks Andy.

Just a quick follow up. Why would tests crash on my machine?
      "spring-build/common/quality.xml:223: Tests failed (crashed)"

Just running build-kernel/ant clean test

Code:
      test.do:
          [mkdir] Created dir: /Users/dsklyut/Projects/sources/spring/dm-server-source/kernel/com.springsource.kernel.test/target/test-classes
        [s:javac] Compiling 12 source files to /Users/dsklyut/Projects/sources/spring/dm-server-source/kernel/com.springsource.kernel.test/target/test-classes
           [copy] Copying 28 files to /Users/dsklyut/Projects/sources/spring/dm-server-source/kernel/com.springsource.kernel.test/target/test-classes
          [junit] Testsuite: com.springsource.kernel.concurrent.test.ApplicationContextDependencyMonitorIntegrationTests
         [subant] Leaving directory: /Users/dsklyut/Projects/sources/spring/dm-server-source/kernel/com.springsource.kernel.test

BUILD FAILED
      /Users/dsklyut/Projects/sources/spring/dm-server-source/kernel/spring-build/multi-bundle/quality.xml:28: The following error occurred while executing this line:
      /Users/dsklyut/Projects/sources/spring/dm-server-source/kernel/spring-build/multi-bundle/common.xml:71: The following error occurred while executing this line:
      /Users/dsklyut/Projects/sources/spring/dm-server-source/kernel/spring-build/common/quality.xml:53: The following error occurred while executing this line:
      /Users/dsklyut/Projects/sources/spring/dm-server-source/kernel/spring-build/common/quality.xml:223: Tests failed (crashed)

Comment

ApplicationContextDependencyMonitorIntegrationTest s is the first integration test and often the problem is that the kernel will not start for some reason. A common mistake is to leave the kernel or dm Server running elsewhere on the machine and then you get a port clash. The only way to diagnose this is by staring at the trace (log.log) or running the test under a debugger (but that requires quite a bit of knowledge of where to put breakpoints etc. - for starters try debugging the initialisation of the test framework - probably out of the superclass of the ACDMIT class).

You might also try killing off your Ivy cache to see if some obscure conflict is causing the problem. Also note that we usually do clean builds by issuing:

ant clean clean-integration test

or, when we want to check findbugs and code coverage:

ant precommit

Hope that's some help! If you dig into the trace and find something odd, please post back here, although we are down to a skeleton crew as people go off for the Christmas break.

Comment

Dmitry - please note that there is a problem on the master branch in the kernel possibly similar to what you are seeing, although a stack trace is produced. I am looking into the problem. Which branch are you attempting to build?

Comment

I am trying to work with 2.0.x. Still getting a crash without any further info when doing a full build with test, i.e. build-kernel/ant clean test

Code:
            test.do:
                [mkdir] Created dir: /Users/dsklyut/Projects/sources/spring/dm-server-source/kernel/com.springsource.kernel.test/target/test-classes
              [s:javac] Compiling 12 source files to /Users/dsklyut/Projects/sources/spring/dm-server-source/kernel/com.springsource.kernel.test/target/test-classes
                 [copy] Copying 28 files to /Users/dsklyut/Projects/sources/spring/dm-server-source/kernel/com.springsource.kernel.test/target/test-classes
                [junit] Testsuite: com.springsource.kernel.concurrent.test.ApplicationContextDependencyMonitorIntegrationTests
               [subant] Leaving directory: /Users/dsklyut/Projects/sources/spring/dm-server-source/kernel/com.springsource.kernel.test

BUILD FAILED
            /Users/dsklyut/Projects/sources/spring/dm-server-source/kernel/spring-build/multi-bundle/quality.xml:28: The following error occurred while executing this line:
            /Users/dsklyut/Projects/sources/spring/dm-server-source/kernel/spring-build/multi-bundle/common.xml:71: The following error occurred while executing this line:
            /Users/dsklyut/Projects/sources/spring/dm-server-source/kernel/spring-build/common/quality.xml:53: The following error occurred while executing this line:
            /Users/dsklyut/Projects/sources/spring/dm-server-source/kernel/spring-build/common/quality.xml:223: Tests failed (crashed)
            switched to com.springsource.kernel.test and tried to test from there. Same error:

Code:
            resolve.test:
            [ivy:cachepath] 	[2.1.0.BUILD-20091218172307] com.springsource.kernel#com.springsource.kernel.dm;latest.integration
            [ivy:cachepath] 	[2.1.0.BUILD-20091218172307] com.springsource.kernel#com.springsource.kernel.core;latest.integration

test.do:

BUILD FAILED

Total time: 21 seconds

Comment

We are not seeing this, so you'll have to dig under the covers to discover the problem.

You could read the trace but you may have to increase the amount of trace to find the problem. I would look for "unusual" exceptions, but that will be hard for you as presumably you are not used to looking at the trace.

You could try running that test under Eclipse and using the debugger to step through the test framework logic. You may find this instructive if you have the time.

Or, if you want to stay at the level of externals, you could use git bisect to determine which commit introduced the problem (assuming it was ok at some point in the past) and then try to suss the cause from the commit.

I'd guess that some basic resolution failure or unexpected exception is occurring quite early on. Have you tried running the standalone kernel to make sure there is nothing basic broken on your system, such as Java?

Note that it is possible to run that specific testcase by cd'ing into the ...kernel.test directory and issuing:
              Code:
              ant -Dtestcase=com.springsource.kernel.concurrent.test.ApplicationContextDependencyMonitorIntegrationTests test
              I hope that's some help. You do realise that you'll soon be a qualified dm Server developer if you persist? ;-)

Comment

It boiled down to shell wrapping some jars and those jars missing from generated shell bundle.

com.springsource.kenel.shell/template.mf
                Code:
                Bundle-ClassPath: .,
                 com.springsource.org.apache.mina.core-${org.apache.mina}.jar,
                 com.springsource.org.apache.sshd-${org.apache.sshd}.jar
                test.config.properties point to
                Code:
                 file:../com.springsource.kernel.shell/target/classes@start
                This is definitely does not have embedded jars.

Just to test I pointed to a jar from RC1 of dm server that does have mina jars embedded (how?)

Code:
                 file:/opt/servers/com.ptc.insight.runtime.dm-server-1.1.0.RC3.RC1-SNAPSHOT/lib/kernel/com.springsource.kernel.shell-2.0.0.RC1.jar@start
                And there was much rejoicing.

p.s. adding following to the launcher.bundles property has no effect as shell does not import those packages.
                Code:
                 file:../ivy-cache/repository/org.apache.mina/com.springsource.org.apache.sshd/0.3.0/com.springsource.org.apache.sshd-0.3.0.jar@start,\
                 file:../ivy-cache/repository/org.apache.mina/com.springsource.org.apache.mina.core/2.0.0.RC1/com.springsource.org.apache.mina.core-2.0.0.RC1.jar@start,\

Comment

It looks like the shell, which shouldn't really be enabled for integration tests, is failing in your environment. We are not seeing this, even with a fresh build with an empty Ivy cache (at kernel git revision 250b54a55376f8473f0b8a6a150fbc736ab215f0).

The only difference is that we always issue:
                  Code:
                  ant clean clean-integration test
                  rather than just
                  Code:
                  ant clean test.
                  Please try that. If you still hit a problem with an unmodified copy of the kernel, please raise an issue. Thanks.

As to how the built shell bundle gets mina and sshd embedded inside it, the shell's ivy.xml contains the cryptic directive "additional->runtime" for those two dependencies.

Comment

Ended up as an issue in my local kernel source tree. spring-build had a local modification and was not getting updated for not sure how long.

Looks like all is working now.

Sorry for confusion. git status was not explicit enough for me when showing status of submodule. I was jumping branches and not sure if that caused an issue with submodule or not. I am still somewhat new to git

Comment

Glad to hear you are sorted.

Whenever I switch between ('major') branches, I issue:
                      Code:
                      git submodule update --init
                      to be on the safe side. Having to do this at all seems to be a flaw in git, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                      X