Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensing question

Hi,

reading the license terms for dm Server I found the following sentence (shortened): Customer agrees not to: use the Products as part of a service offering

The company where I work plans to install dm Server in their own hosting centre and deploy some applications developed in-house which can be accessed through the internet by paying customers. Would that be allowed by the license or is that a "service offering"?

Re: Licensing question

Hi,

It appears that the license you are referring to is the 90 day evaluation license that is used when you download dm Server from springsource.com. This license is provided to users so that they can investigate the product rather than use it in production and has been discussed on this forum a couple of times before (1). First let me preface this comment by a short disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and this post does not constitute legal advice by me or by SpringSource. You should contact your own lawyer for advice specific to your interests.

I'm sure that your company would not want to use a time limited version of the product nor use one that has a license that might restrict your service offering in production. Fortunately, you don't have to. You can either
    1. Purchase a full production support license from SpringSource
    2. Build the open source version of the server yourself which will governed by its constituent open source licenses (more details in the dm Server Licensing FAQ).
    Naturally, SpringSource as a company would like you to buy the production support license and it will give you great benefits, like access to our global support services, but in reality the vast majority of people running dm Server use the open source version. I hope this helps.

Adam FitzGerald
    SpringSource

Comment

Working...
    X