Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring DM Server Architecture

Hi,

I am using Spring Source DM server 2.0 M4 now, as I am going through the nightly builds (Snap shots) of the DM server, I observed there were so many changes are encorporated with the M4 version.

I observed that there were no folders called bundles, library, installed we have only ext and usr folders.

My questions are

1) I think you have moved all the subsystem bundles to ext folder am I correct?

2)What about slices, where can I place slices bundles to get the slices naturality to my server?

3)What about profiles DM server now?

Hi, Mahesh. First of all, apologies for the inconvenience, you're working right on the leading edge here...

As you've noticed, we've done a fairly significant amount of work since M4 on the server's kernel as part of our work to fully embrace Plans and this work is not quite complete yet. It will all be finished, with one or more blog posts around the changes when we release M5. I'll describe below the changes that we've made so that, hopefully, you can make use of the nightlies with Slices without having to wait for M5.

Originally posted by mahesh_yamsani View Post
    I observed that there were no folders called bundles, library, installed we have only ext and usr folders.
    As we've introduced more artifact types (we now have bundles, libraries, plans, and properties files) it felt cumbersome to split the dm Server repository by artifact type so we now simply have ext and usr.

This is, of course, only the default configuration. If you prefer the repository's directory structure to divide artifacts by type, then you can do so simply by updating the com.springsource.repository.properties file and moving the artifacts around on disk.

1) I think you have moved all the subsystem bundles to ext folder am I correct?
    Yes, that's right. The concept of a subsystem doesn't really exist anymore, as it's been replaced by Plans which are a superset of what used to be a subsystem.

2)What about slices, where can I place slices bundles to get the slices naturality to my server?
    We still have a little bit of work to do here before Slices will work on the latest nightly builds, and on M5 once it's been released. We'll need to provide a plan for Slices which references the two Slices bundles: the Plan equivalent of the current subsystem.xml

3)What about profiles DM server now?
    The replacement for profiles are system artifacts. In the latest nightly builds you can see in com.springsource.kernel.properties that the Web Plan is referenced as a system artifact:

Code:
    deployer.systemArtifacts=repository:plan/com.springsource.server.web
    Once the plan for Slices is available, you would update this property to also references the Slices Plan from the repository:

Code:
    deployer.systemArtifacts=repository:plan/com.springsource.server.web,repository:plan/com.springsource.osgi.slices
    I've opened DMS-1525 to track the creation of the Plan for Slices.

Comment

Thank you Andy, here I have one more query about DM server Manifet.mf configuration.

As we know, in Manifest we have three sections like, Import Packagaes, Import Bundles, Import libraries.

What is the need of providing the Import-packages seperatly, any way we can get theese packages from the bundle only( like, how we are doing for a non OSGi i,e pure java programs).

Comment

If you want to get all of the packages from a specific bundle, then I would use Import-Bundle in your manifest, as this is pretty much exactly what it was designed to do.

Comment

Working...
        X