Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about DM and RFC 66 licenses?

Hi,
    I am currently doing a research on OSGi based containers and I have come to Spring DM.

I think you have done a greate job.

Something I might have got wrong are the licenses. As far as I saw the dm server is licensed under GPL. The RFC 66 implementation of a web container is licensed under Apache.
    I would like to ask to what extend is the RFC 66 implementation decoupled from the GPL licensed dm? Is it possible to decouple this. I have not really searched the code, but If you point me to a direction I will definetly do.

Thank you in advance.

The RFC 66 implementation is entirely separate from dm Server. As the RI, it has to be able to run on a standard OSGi service platform. Rob's blog post contains some information about running it standalone, rather than embedded within dm Server.

Comment

Thanks Andy.
      I will try it and in case of problems will again return to forum.

Comment

I have started the article and as an Eclipse fan I have downloaded equinox.
        Upon installing and starting com.springsource.osgi.webcontainer.core.jar the following exception occured (shown below).

Probably the implementation is dependend on other pieces of code (com.springsource.util.io). Do you know where could I find them (and check their license).

Thanks.

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The bundle could not be resolved. Reason: Missing Constraint: Import-Package: com.springsource.util.io; version="2.0.0"
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractB undle.getResolverError(AbstractBundle.java:1313)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractB undle.getResolutionFailureException(AbstractBundle .java:1297)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHos t.startWorker(BundleHost.java:309)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractB undle.start(AbstractBundle.java:280)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractB undle.start(AbstractBundle.java:272)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework CommandProvider._start(FrameworkCommandProvider.ja va:253)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework CommandInterpreter.execute(FrameworkCommandInterpr eter.java:155)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework Console.docommand(FrameworkConsole.java:303)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework Console.console(FrameworkConsole.java:288)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework Console.run(FrameworkConsole.java:224)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Comment

I have eventually found the source of com.springsource.util.io and it is located at git://git.springsource.org/dm-server/util.git. It seems the license is again Apache, but does this mean that the RFC 66 implementation is dependend on the dm server utilities?

Or it is just that the utilities are located in a dm-server repository?

Thank you

Comment

Working...
          X