Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choice of technologies for Getting Started Guide (Greenpages)

I'm reading the latest version of getting started guide for dm server and I'm enjoying it a lot. It's very clear and didactic.

There is just one thing that bothers me. Is there a particular reason why Greenpages is based on EclipseLink JPA and H2 instead of more "standard" ones like Hibernate and MySQL for example? I guess there are very good reasons, but I'd like to know them as it might influence my technology choice for my first real dm project.

In particular, are those technologies mature enough for a real project? I mean not like HSQL that tends to be used only for development and demonstration purposes because it's easier to set up.

I don't think you should read too much into our choices. The main objective was to have an application that was reasonably realistic while being relatively straightforward to set up and describe in the "getting started guide".

We chose EclipseLink JPA instead of Hibernate because it is the RI for JPA 2. We chose H2 over MySQL simply because it is is easier to embed in a simple application.

Of course, you are the ultimate judge of the suitability of particular technologies to your projects, but we would say that H2 is most useful for testing and nowhere near the maturity of MySQL. However, EclipseLink JPA should be a good base for a real application.

Comment

Working...
    X