Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tooling: Starting server (sometimes) doesn't work

Hi !

sometimes after starting Eclipse I'm not able to start the dm server using the Server Tooling. When I try to start the server using the "Servers" view, STS shows "Starting SpringSource dm server" but it doesn't really start the server; it seems to hang. There is no process launched and no output in the Console is shown. It's also not possible to cancel the job using Eclipse "Progress" view. I even cannot shutdown Eclipse since eclipse is waiting (forever) for the start job to complete.

In such situations there are some ClassCastExceptions like this in Eclipse' Error Log:

java.lang.ClassCastException: org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelManager$Per sistedClasspathContainer cannot be cast to org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.JREContainer
    at com.springsource.server.ide.runtime.core.ServerUti ls.getJavaVersion(
    at com.springsource.server.ide.runtime.core.ServerUti ls.createDependencyLocator(
    at com.springsource.server.ide.jdt.internal.core.clas spath.ServerClasspathContainer.createDependencyLoc ator(
    at com.springsource.server.ide.jdt.internal.core.clas spath.ServerClasspathContainer.refreshClasspathEnt ries(
    at com.springsource.server.ide.jdt.internal.core.clas spath.ServerClasspathContainer.getClasspathEntries (
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelManager.con tainerPutIfInitializingWithSameEntries(JavaModelMa
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.SetContainerOperatio n.executeOperation(
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelOperation.r un(
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelOperation.r unOperation(
    at org.eclipse.jdt.core.JavaCore.setClasspathContaine r(
    at com.springsource.server.ide.jdt.internal.core.clas spath.ServerClasspathContainerInitializer.initiali ze(
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelManager.ini tializeContainer(
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelManager$13. run(
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelManager.ini tializeAllContainers(
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelManager.get ClasspathContainer(
    at org.eclipse.jdt.core.JavaCore.getClasspathContaine r(
    at com.springsource.server.ide.jdt.internal.core.util .ClasspathUtils.getClasspathContainer(ClasspathUti
    at com.springsource.server.ide.jdt.internal.core.util .ClasspathUtils.updateClasspathContainer(Classpath
    at com.springsource.server.ide.jdt.internal.core.clas spath.ServerClasspathContainerUpdateJob.runInWorks pace(
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.InternalWorksp
    at ava:55)

To "fix" the problem I kill and re-start eclipse and clean all projects to force a full re-build. After that the server can be started.

I'm using Eclipse 3.4 (I20080617-2000), Spring IDE 2.1.0.v200808011800 and 1.1.0.v200809100800 of the Server integration. The dm server's version is RC2.

Is this a known problem?

Tooling: Starting server (sometimes) doesn't work

this problem has been addressed with the GA version of the dm Server tools.

Sorry for the problem that may have caused on your end.

Tooling: Starting server (sometimes) doesn't work

Hi Christian,

thanks for your reply. I'll check out the GA release.