Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote OSGI calls to bundles on other servers - possible ?

Is this possible ? It would be quite neat that instead of doing a web service or remoting call to another box, you could have a central server (e.g. one running an OSGI version of Google Maps or whatever), and a distributed server that just imported OSGI services from the central one.

In fact it would be very neat.

Remote OSGI calls to bundles on other servers - possible ?

Paul, I see where you are going with this. I think the short answer is "No". Maybe for the long answer I should defer to someone from the EEG in case they are already planning something (but that would not be any time soon). But my long answer is (because I am doing exactly the same thing for Spring Batch): write your client bundles as if the service was local, i.e. make it depend on an OSGi service reference, then provide a simple proxy bundle that provides the service but delegates the calls to a remote server. The beauty of that is that the whole system is testable locally and retains its modularity. The remote service might or might not be in an OSGi platform, since the remote protocol will be off the shelf anyway, but Spring HttpInvoker is pretty easy to get working in this scenario (as I know you are aware).

Comment

Thanks for that. In our scenario we currently use remoting for central services, so a proxy remoting bundle would be a good fit. I was wondering more if there was some sort of service resolver that you could configure in the service registry, so if the service was not available locally it would look in configured remote registries. The proxy way of doing it is fine for me though.

Ta.

Comment

Hi Paul. As Dave guessed, the OSGi Alliance's Enterprise Expert Group is currently working on a distributed OSGi specification which should appear in a future release of OSGi. Dave was right: that won't be soon. I saw a demo. of an early version last week, so it's certainly making good progress. I expect this will have quite a few of the usual drawbacks of distributed objects, so take care if you are tempted to think that there might be any "remote/local transparency" - there are always more failure modes on a remote call and the client pretty much has to cope with them.

Regards,
        Glyn

Comment

Working...
        X