Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server hanging at startup - easily reproducible

Beta 9

Deploy an OSGI bundle by dragging on to server instance.

Bundle has dep on Hibernate e.g.

Require-Bundle: com.springsource.org.apache.commons.lang,
    com.springsource.org.hibernate

But a dep for Hibernate is missing so you get an error message saying the app failed to deploy due to a missing dependency of a dependency which is fine, because I am in the process of adding all the deps of Hibernate to the app server, and I've missed one.

I then undeploy my failed deployment, by removing it from the list of deployed apps on the server instance. This is in itself is strange, as if the deployment failed, why is it in this list ?

Shut down S2AP.
    Start it - it hangs - not always, but more than 50% of the time.

To get it started again I shut down eclipse, do a startup -clean from the cli, and restart. I may have to do this more than once to get it to start up again.

Server hanging at startup - easily reproducible

Hi Paul,

I've had a go at reproducing this with beta 9 on my Mac development machine with Java 5 but have been unable to do so.

You don't say how far through the startup process the Platform gets before the hang occurs... Assuming it's got far enough it should be possible to use JConsole and the SystemDumpControl MBean to generate a dump that will include stack traces for all of the Platform's threads -- this will hopefully help us to figure out what's going on. You should be able to attach to the Platform as a local process using JConsole. You can then find the SystemDumpControl MBean under com.springsource.platform. Running its generateDump operation should produce an message in the console similar to this:

[2008-07-15 17:46:53.719] ction(120)-192.168.1.154 <SPFF0002I> Wrote dump file "/Applications/S2AP/springsource-ap-1.0.0.beta9/serviceability/dump/2008-07-15_17-46-51.dump"

Can you please take such a dump when the hang occurs (if possible) and attach the file detailed in the message to a JIRA issue?

Thanks,
    Andy

Comment

Yep sure, will do this tomorrow.

Comment

Paul,

> I then undeploy my failed deployment, by removing it from the list of deployed
        > apps on the server instance. This is in itself is strange, as if the deployment failed,
        > why is it in this list ?

The servers view serves a different purpose: it displays the targeted modules and does not reflect the state of the module on the platform. This follows the established WTP conventions for this view.

Soon we will have a view on the Server Editor that will provide more precise OSGi bundle state.

> Start it - it hangs - not always, but more than 50% of the time.

Do you mean by hanging that the Servers view never indicates the server being in the "Started" state but instead stays in "Starting...". If that is the case please update your tools to a recent nightly build as this problem should have been solved.

Christian

Comment

Updating the tools to the nightly build fixed it. It was indeed the server being in a "starting...." state.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X