Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Modules: init()-method of filters not called?

Hi all

Is it the case that the init()-method of ServletFilters is not called when I declare the filter in the MANIFEST.MF Instead in the web.xml? If yes, isn't this i very critital bug or is this "as designed"?
    Most of JSF Component Libraries depend on a call to "init()".

Regards
    Michael

Web Modules: init()-method of filters not called?

Hi Michael,

Your assumption is correct: if you configure a Sevlet Filter as a bean in your web module's application context and then delegate to that bean via Spring's DelegatingFilterProxy, then yes, the init() method of your Filter will not be called.

FYI: using Web-FilterMappings in MANIFEST.MF configures a DelegatingFilterProxy automatically for you, but the 'targetFilterLifecycle' property is not set. Thus the configured DelegatingFilterProxy will not delegate calls to init() to the underlying Filter bean.

A viable solution to this is to use web.xml fragments in your web module. A web.xml fragment is a standard web.xml deployment descriptor that you use to configure your web application as you normally would. The S2AP will then merge configuration generated via Web-* manifest headers into the web.xml fragment you provide. This gives you the flexibility to use all standard web.xml elements, and the Platform will then augment your configuration with a preconfigured DispatcherServlet, DelegatingFilterProxy, etc.

Thus, if you need to manually configure a Filter, using a web.xml fragment gives you the freedom to do so!

Regards,

Sam

Comment

Hi Michael,

> If yes, isn't this i very critital bug or is this "as designed"?

It isn't essentially critical, since (as of beta5) you can use web.xml fragments to meet your needs. In addition, a Shared Services WAR would not suffer from this, since Shared Services WARs do not use Web-* manifest headers.

You do, however, bring up a good point with regard to web modules. Thus, I've created a JIRA to track this here:

https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/PLATFORM-60

Cheers,

Sam

Comment

I have the same issue here.
        I want to load the Tapestry5 web filter and finally found out that the source of the problem is that the init() method is not called.
        I will try with the web.wml fragment solution but it should work since it is the normal way

Comment

Hi guys,

Please note that I have coded a fix for this which will be included in the beta6 release. For details, consult the JIRA issue:

https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/PLATFORM-60

Regards,

Sam

Comment

Working...
          X