Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSF Problem with WebModule

Hi all

I'm trying to build my first JSF-WebApplication with SpringDM and SpringSource.

I managed to get all JSF bundles and my web application starts up.

I get the following error when I try to start the JSF Servlet:

org.apache.myfaces.webapp.StartupServletContextLis tener.unknown E Error initializing ServletContext
    javax.faces.FacesException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.myfaces.config.impl.digester.elements.F acesConfig
    at org.apache.myfaces.config.FacesConfigurator.config ure(FacesConfigurator.java:144)
    at org.apache.myfaces.webapp.StartupServletContextLis tener.initFaces(StartupServletContextListener.java :68)
    at org.apache.myfaces.webapp.StartupServletContextLis tener.contextInitialized(StartupServletContextList ener.java:51)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerS tart(StandardContext.java:3843)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(Sta ndardContext.java:4350)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInt ernal(ContainerBase.java:791)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(Co ntainerBase.java:771)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(Sta ndardHost.java:525)
    at com.springsource.platform.servlet.tomcat.TomcatSer vletContainer.addContext(TomcatServletContainer.ja va:658)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
    at org.springframework.osgi.service.importer.internal .aop.ServiceInvoker.doInvoke(ServiceInvoker.java:5 9)
    at org.springframework.osgi.service.importer.internal .aop.ServiceInvoker.invoke(ServiceInvoker.java:67)
    at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethod Invocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java :171)
    at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroduc tionInterceptor.doProceed(DelegatingIntroductionIn terceptor.java:131)

So, SpringSource starts my app with Tomcat, Tomcat starts the MyFaces web listener, the web listeners read the JSF config using digester, but digester cannot find the myfaces-classes.

It's clear why digester does not find the myfaces-classes, because it has no import-package or dependency to myfaces.
    But how do we solve the problem? How can MyFaces be used in that situation?

Regards Michael

JSF Problem with WebModule

Michael,

Is this in a WAR file or are you using a PAR-based application?

Rob

Comment

Its in a jar-File which is a web-module.

Here is my manifest:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
      Import-Library: org.springframework.spring;version="[2.5.4,3.0.0)"
      Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
      Bundle-Name: b06Skel Web Layer
      Bundle-SymbolicName: com.basis06.skelRevamped.webLayer
      Bundle-Vendor: basis06 AG
      Import-Package: com.basis06.skelRevamped.serviceLayer,javax.faces. webapp,org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle; version="1.1.5",javax.faces.lifecycle,javax.faces. event,javax.faces,javax.faces.context
      Import-Bundle: com.springsource.org.richfaces;version="3.1.4.GA"
      Bundle-Version: 1.0.0.BUILD-20080509155958
      Platform-ModuleType: Web
      Web-ContextPath: webLayer
      Web-ContextParams: javax.faces.DEFAULT_SUFFIX;param-value:=".xhtml",foo;param-value:="bar"
      Web-Servlets: FacesServlet;servlet-class:="javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet"; load-on-startup:="1";url-patterns:="/faces/*"
      Web-SessionTimeout: 30
      Web-WelcomeFiles: index.jsp

Comment

This is quite strange. Line 144 of FacesConfigurator is this:

142: } catch (SAXException e)
        143: {
        144: throw new FacesException(e);
        145: }

So getting a ClassNotFoundException is a bit weird. Where are your myfaces and digester bundles coming from? Have you tried the MyFaces bundles from the Bundle Repository (http://www.springsource.com/repository)?

The problem looks to be that MyFaces configures Digester to use the context class loader rather than its own class loader - this is not a great idea in an OSGi environment.

I reported the error to the MyFaces team: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MYFACES-1878

I also created a Platform issue to track this: https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/PLATFORM-57

As an interim solution you could try patching your MyFaces instance with my suggested fix.

Sorry I can't be of more help on this.

Rob

Comment

Thanks for your answer. I found another workaround in the meantime: I imported all the classes the digester needs. So my Manifest now looks like:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
          Import-Library: org.springframework.spring;version="[2.5.4,3.0.0)"
          Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
          Bundle-Name: b06Skel Web Layer
          Bundle-SymbolicName: com.basis06.skelRevamped.webLayer
          Bundle-Vendor: basis06 AG
          Import-Package: com.basis06.skelRevamped.serviceLayer,javax.faces. render,javax.faces,javax.faces.event,javax.faces.c omponent,javax.faces.lifecycle,javax.faces.context ,javax.faces.application,javax.faces.el,org.apache .myfaces.taglib.core,org.apache.myfaces.taglib.htm l,org.apache.myfaces.context,org.apache.myfaces.li fecycle,org.apache.myfaces.renderkit,javax.faces.w ebapp,org.apache.myfaces.webapp,org.apache.myfaces .config.impl.digester.elements,org.apache.myfaces. application
          Bundle-Version: 1.0.0.BUILD-20080509155958
          Platform-ModuleType: Web
          Web-ContextPath: webLayer
          Import-Bundle: com.springsource.org.apache.commons.collections;ve rsion="3.2.0",com.springsource.org.apache.commons. digester;version="1.8.0"
          Web-ContextParams: javax.faces.STATE_SAVING_METHOD;param-value:="server",org.ajax4jsf.SKIN;param-value:="blueSky"
          Web-Servlets: FacesServlet;servlet-class:="javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet"; load-on-startup:="1";url-patterns:="/faces/*"
          Web-SessionTimeout: 30
          Web-WelcomeFiles: index.jsp
          Web-FilterMappings: resourceFilter;url-patterns:="/faces/*"

and now jsf works. (although my Import-Package line is not quite ugly).

Comment

That's a good workaround. You could simplify if you wanted by switching to Import-bundle for the faces and myfaces bundles - this should still work and will be a little less fragile if the myfaces internals change.

Rob

Comment

Working...
            X