X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clustering?

I don't see any references to clustering in the documentation. What support is there for http session replication? Can you cluster a bundle? How about farming or administrative domains ala glassfish or weblogic? What are the chances of intgrating with terracotta?

Thanks
    Michael

Clustering?

as far as i know, clustering and "middleware integration" are planned for the next (beta-)release

read here under ROADMAP:
    http://blog.springsource.com/main/2008/04/30/introducing-the-springsource-application-platform/

Comment

Clustering?

eumel is correct.
      Typical clustering features will be available in the next major release (2.x). To quote Rob's Blog post,

"Clustering is an important feature for the 2.0 release, with cluster-wide Single System Image (SSI) being the critical piece, and load-balancing and clustered caching being on the roadmap as well. Using the SSI support, administration and deployment operations will be propagated across the cluster. Ultimately, we want to support per-module updates across the cluster, with full cluster-rollback if the upgrade breaks a deployed application."

Also, the related features in Tomcat are not configurable via the Platform. We have not made any decisions on explicit integration's with other products and it is a possibility. I would not like to say anything about Terracotta in particular as we simply have not decided. Your desire is noted though.

Thanks, Chris

Comment

Clustering?

Hi Chris

This sounds all very good for the 2.0! :-)

But why not add simple session replication and a ajp connector for tomcat. I think this would fit the most important needs for many users.
        I have looked through the code an saw that you "just" start an embedded tomcat. So why not add the standard simple cluster and a ajp connector there?

regards
        Björn

Comment

Clustering?

Hi Björn,

> But why not add simple session replication and a ajp connector for tomcat.
          > I think this would fit the most important needs for many users.

That's a great idea. In fact, it's already on the immediate road map, and I'll hopefully be able to get that work completed before the beta3 release tomorrow!

If not, it will definitely be available for the beta4 release.

> I have looked through the code an saw that you "just" start an embedded tomcat.

What do you mean by "just"?

cheers,

Sam

Comment

Clustering?

Hi Sam

That sounds fantastic!
            I look forward to download the beta3 and start testing the session replication. :-)

Well, I just meant just by "just" ;-)
            Honestly, before I look through the code, I thought you use the normal tomcat service and don't start an embedded one by yourself.

Cheers
            Björn

Comment

Clustering?

Hi Björn,

It's great to see your enthusiasm for trying out the Platform!

FYI: the support for configuring an AJP Connector for the embedded Tomcat engine will not make it into the beta3 release, but it will definitely be available in the coming weeks. So stay tuned.

Regards,

Sam

Comment

Clustering?

Hi Sam

No Problem, the platform as it is, is a real advantage for me (currently have a plain equinox runtime in production behind a normal tomcat cluster accessed via httpInvoke)

Is there a related issue and a source-code repo, so I can check out the trunk? Because I'd like to provide a patch for this, if now one of you is still working on this.

regards
                Björn

BTW: using groovy to implement config interfaces is a great idea. I will adapt it ;-)

Comment

Clustering?

Hi Björn,

> No Problem, the platform as it is, is a real advantage for me (currently have a plain
                  > equinox runtime in production behind a normal tomcat cluster accessed via httpInvoke)

Glad to hear the Platform is making your life easier.

> Is there a related issue?

There was already a related issue, which has been closed. So, I've created a new JIRA issue specifically for the AJP support which you can track here:

https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/PLATFORM-45

> BTW: using groovy to implement config interfaces is a great idea. I will adapt it ;-)

If you're referring to the configuration file format which is used in PLATFORM_HOME/config/*.config, the format is actually JSON (JavaScript Object Notation), not Groovy, but... JSON is also pretty "groovy".

Regards,

Sam

Comment

Working...
                  X