Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deploying thirdparty libraries from

Hi,

I am revising a post i placed questioning how to "install" third party packages to dmserver/virgo. Upon re-reading the documentation as I understand it, virgo/dmserver does not require you to "install" third party dependencies as described in the programmer reference as it will resolve/look for them as you install an application which requires them.

Therefore, doing something like installing a core camel bundle, which in servicemix might look like this:

install mvn:org.apache.camel/camel-core/2.2

is not required in dmserver. From my understanding, virgo will search the repositories for the required bundles/libraries and handle the dependency for you so long as it can find it.

I had envisioned that we would just point to the springsource "osgi-ified" repository and that would be it, but it seems the recommended is to copy to a local "external" or "watched" repository rather than using a remote repository. I suppose this reflects the concept of an internal maven proxy server so that makes sense. I wasn't planning to manually download bundles as is referred to in the doco.

I suppose if you point to a local maven repository this would be "automatic" because mvn pulled them down - but i've seen many references that the dmserver can't handle non-osgi bundles in a repository which would be the case with our local mvn repository. I would test it out now but our bundles have so many dependencies it will take a while to try this out and thought i'd correct my post before anyone spends time on it.. although it sounds like this forum is not not being monitored too much.

If someone could confirm/correct any of this that'd be great.

2 last questions anyway:

1. What's the proper url for the springsource osgi-ified repository because the link here http://www.springsource.com/repository/app/faq#q8 doesn't seem to be valid? i.e. the one that we would configure in our virgo/dmserver if we wouldn't to search through it as a remote repository..[assuming q#2 is false]

2. Is the springsource repository referenced in #1 "automagically" pre-configured in dmserver/virgo? If so where can I see references to this?

cheers
    Last edited by vshankar; Jul 19th, 2010, 07:37 AM. Reason: just discovered presence of virgo and realized how repository works

Originally posted by vshankar View Post
    Hi,

I am revising a post i placed questioning how to "install" third party packages to dmserver/virgo. Upon re-reading the documentation as I understand it, virgo/dmserver does not require you to "install" third party dependencies as described in the programmer reference as it will resolve/look for them as you install an application which requires them.

Therefore, doing something like installing a core camel bundle, which in servicemix might look like this:

install mvn:org.apache.camel/camel-core/2.2

is not required in dmserver. From my understanding, virgo will search the repositories for the required bundles/libraries and handle the dependency for you so long as it can find it.

I had envisioned that we would just point to the springsource "osgi-ified" repository and that would be it, but it seems the recommended is to copy to a local "external" or "watched" repository rather than using a remote repository. I suppose this reflects the concept of an internal maven proxy server so that makes sense. I wasn't planning to manually download bundles as is referred to in the doco.

I suppose if you point to a local maven repository this would be "automatic" because mvn pulled them down - but i've seen many references that the dmserver can't handle non-osgi bundles in a repository which would be the case with our local mvn repository. I would test it out now but our bundles have so many dependencies it will take a while to try this out and thought i'd correct my post before anyone spends time on it.. although it sounds like this forum is not not being monitored too much.

If someone could confirm/correct any of this that'd be great.
    Your understanding is pretty accurate. Non-OSGi JARs in a repository should be fairly harmless except if you need them converting to bundles in which case they will be ignored or might conceivably cause problems if they have incorrect manifests.

2 last questions anyway:

1. What's the proper url for the springsource osgi-ified repository because the link here http://www.springsource.com/repository/app/faq#q8 doesn't seem to be valid? i.e. the one that we would configure in our virgo/dmserver if we wouldn't to search through it as a remote repository..[assuming q#2 is false]
    We don't recommend using the SpringSource Enterprise Bundle Repository as a remote repository as that will typically result in massive downloads because of all the optional dependencies, e.g. of Spring, which are contained there.

2. Is the springsource repository referenced in #1 "automagically" pre-configured in dmserver/virgo? If so where can I see references to this?
    No.

cheers

Comment

great thanks very much for the clarifications/confirmations.

cheers

Comment

Working...
      X