Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Spring Modules forum decommissioned in favor of Spring Extensions

As the Spring Modules project has been replaced by the Spring Extensions (http://www.springsource.org/extensions) project, this forum has been decommissioned in favour of Spring Extensions one at:
http://forum.springsource.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Please see the Spring Extensions home page for a complete list of current projects in Java, .NET and ActionScript. You can also propose one if you want.

Cheers,
Costin Leau
SpringSource - http://www.SpringSource.com- Spring Training, Consulting, and Support - "From the Source"
http://twitter.com/costinl
See more
See less
Why aren't there any good VaLang examples/tutorials. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why aren't there any good VaLang examples/tutorials.

Hello,
    I admit to being new to spring, and I am looking to validate a simple form. When I saw how VaLang works, by not having to define a validation bean but instead just create an expression to validate a bean I got pretty excited. Finally, a simple, fast, and easy validation procedure.

however, i can not get VaLang working. i downloading spring-modules 0.8, and i have scoured the net for a decent tutorial on server side validation, however i can not find one that explains things well enough. Hopefull this forum can help me out.

I understand that in my *-servlet.xml file i should add something like this.

[code]
    <bean id="myValidator" class="org.springmodules.validation.valang.ValangV alidator">
    <property name="valang">
    <value><![CDATA[
    { firstName : length(?) < 30 : 'First name too long' }
    { lastName : length(?) < 50 : 'Last name too long' }
    ]]></value>
    </property>
    </bean>
    [code]

However, on my form, how do i ensure that the input fields firstName and lastName are subjected to this type of validation. Also, for multiple forms, do i just continue to fill the properties field with more names and validation conditions?

Any tutorial that will clearly explain how to use valang would be appreciated. I just need to know what to add in my *-servlet.xml file, anything to the controller class, and what to add on the view to ensure it gets validated.

I appreciate the help. THANKS! THANKS!

I surfed the net and tried so many different tutorials.
    for those who need it, The one that I followed to the T, and had it work successfully is this.

http://www.i-proving.ca/space/Techno...MVC/Validation

good luck to those embarking on valang. It is great once you figure out how it works.

Comment

netvampire can you please provide me sample code of working example...
      It will be a gr8 help

Regards,

Comment

I hope this helps.

In my dispatcher-servlet.xml file i have this type of validation working with valang

Code:
            <bean id="registrationValidator" class="org.springmodules.validation.valang.ValangValidator">
                <property name="valang">
                    <value><![CDATA[
                    { userName : ? is not blank : 'User Name: required.' }
                    { userName : matches('\\w+',?) == true: 'User Name: Only Alpha-Numeric Characters' }
                    { userName : matches('\\w+',?) == true: 'User Name: Only Alpha-Numeric Characters' }
                    { userName : length(?) > 6 : 'User Name: Not between 6 - 12 characters.' }            
                    { userName : length(?) < 12 : 'User Name: Not between 6 - 12 characters.' }            
                    { firstName : ? is not blank : 'First Name: required.' }
                    { firstName : matches('\\w+',?) == true: 'First Name: Only Alpha-Numeric Characters' }
                    { lastName : ? is not blank : 'Last Name: required.' }
                    { lastName : matches('\\w+',?) == true: 'Last Name: Only Alpha-Numeric Characters' }
                    { email : ? is not blank : 'E-Mail: required.' }
                    { email : email(?) == true: 'E-Mail: Not A valid Address' }
                    { password : ? is not blank : 'Password: required.' }
                    { password : matches('\\w+',?) == true: 'Password: Only Alpha-Numeric Characters' }
                    { password : length(?) > 6 : 'Password: Not between 6 - 12 characters.' }            
                    { password : length(?) < 12 : 'Password: Not between 6 - 12 characters.' }            
                    { confirmPassword : ? is not blank : 'Confirm Password: required.' }
                    { confirmPassword : matches('\\w+',?) == true: 'Confirm Password: Only Alpha-Numeric Characters' }
                    { city : ? is not blank : 'City: required.' }
                    { age : matches('\\d+',?) == true: 'Age: Only Numeric Characters' }
                    { age : ? is not blank : 'Age: required.' }
                    ]]></value>
                </property>
            </bean>
        You may also need the correct library files to get this going (not sure, can't remember).

Hope it helps.

Comment

Hi everyone, you can get good Valang examples from the ¨Expert Spring MVC and Web flow¨ book. they are covering valang in a good level, so I suggest you to take a look at it.

Comment

Working...
          X