Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Spring Dynamic Modules forum decommissioned in favor of Eclipse Gemini Blueprint

With the official first release of Eclipse Gemini Blueprint shipped, the migration of the Spring Dynamic Modules code base to the Eclipse Foundation, as part of the Gemini project, has been completed.

As such, this forum has been decommissioned in favour of the Eclipse Gemini forums.
See more
See less
What's the future of OSGi and Spring DM Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the future of OSGi and Spring DM

Hi, recently a friend of mine has been to qcon; she told me that she heard Rod Johnson during his key notes speech saying that OSGi was his worse mistake in 8 years.

What is the future of OSGi? Except from Eclipse, who are the major players who are using OSGi successfully today? What's the future of Spring DM and Blueprint?

I'd like to know if this is a technology worth investing some time on or if it is just another bubble destined to disappear.

Regards,

Marco

Originally posted by alzamabar View Post
    I'd like to know if this is a technology worth investing some time on or if it is just another bubble destined to disappear.
    Most technologies are just bubbles that destined to disappear :-)

It's easy to argue that OSGi is an over-complicated, designed-by committee standard etc.

But I'd be willing to bet that OSGi will outlast Spring: Unlike is the case for Spring, there are no obvious alternatives to OSGi that address the shortcomings of the hierarchical classloader model, and that have such broad support (see http://www.osgi.org/About/Members).

It's too bad SpringSource isn't a bit more forthcoming about what they intend to support and what not. Perhaps they don't know themselves...

Comment

Working...
    X