Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Spring Dynamic Modules forum decommissioned in favor of Eclipse Gemini Blueprint

With the official first release of Eclipse Gemini Blueprint shipped, the migration of the Spring Dynamic Modules code base to the Eclipse Foundation, as part of the Gemini project, has been completed.

As such, this forum has been decommissioned in favour of the Eclipse Gemini forums.
See more
See less
Dynamic XML Configuration Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamic XML Configuration

Hello,
    I'm new to Spring Dynamic Modules. I would like to know if it is possible for Spring DM to dynamically read its XML configuration file(s).

Specifically, I want to have the XML configuration for Spring DM managed externally and to consume these configuration files when the OSGI environment starts and/or on demand.

Based on reading some of the reference doc, I have the impression that Spring DM expects the xml files to be stored with the bundle in META-INF/spring and that this is the only option.

In my use case, we have a set of bundles that we use to create numerous types of components (using the term component to simply mean a set of objects that is configured to meet a specific business need). The definition of these components is managed externally and dynamic. Having Spring DM read it's configuration from the bundle (to create these components) would not work for us. If Spring DM can read the configuration from an external location or be told what to load, this may be a nice solution for us.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
    T

Well I suggest you re-read the documentation. The DEFAULT location is META-INF/spring, but you can place your files ANYWHERE and add them to the manifest (or at least a naming convention for that).

I suggest the part about resource abstractions icm with the manifest header documentation.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't do a good job of asking my question.

My bundle(s) will be loaded into numerous independent OSGI runtimes throughout our enterprise. In each of these runtimes, the services registered and their configuration will be unique to that runtime. The definition of a specific runtime's configuration data will be managed remotely. The configuration can be modified at any time and should synchronize with the runtime. I'm looking for a solution that will support this and hoping that Spring DM can.

So, I'm trying to confirm the following:
      1. Spring DM will search bundles for a manifiest header that identifies the location of configuration files. It will read these configuration files and generate the application context(s). This process occurs only once (at bundle start).

2. Spring DM does not support loading configuration file(s) that are not defined within the manifest. Specifically, there isn't an API that could be called to have Spring DM load a configuration file.

I think Spring DM is a great solution and I'd like to use it, but I don't think it supports my use case, or at least I'm not sure yet how it can.

I would appreciate any help from this community.

Thanks,
      T

Comment

Working...
      X