Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Spring Dynamic Modules forum decommissioned in favor of Eclipse Gemini Blueprint

With the official first release of Eclipse Gemini Blueprint shipped, the migration of the Spring Dynamic Modules code base to the Eclipse Foundation, as part of the Gemini project, has been completed.

As such, this forum has been decommissioned in favour of the Eclipse Gemini forums.
See more
See less
Spring DM deployment Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring DM deployment

Hi All,

Right now, i am working on modularizing my web application (fairly complicated), to support certain objectives, which can be met using OSGI.

I wanted to know can i deploy osgi over tomcat6, because a complete overhaul of the production environment is neither desirable nor will be supported at the work place for reasons other than technical.

Also if there's a sample implementation of a spring DM app, it will be extremely helpful for me to get started.

Thanks
    -rc

rc, the distribution contains several examples, both web and non-web based.
    There are also several books listed on the home page along with other resources.
    These alone should provide more then enough starting points.
    Of course, there is always google and last but not least - this forum.

Comment

Production worthiness

Costin,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried the samples with the 1.2.0 download. They were extremely helpful, and i now have a hang of whats happening.

A couple of questions

1. Is the tomcat container inside the osgi, a built one or is it publicly available one?

2. Can the spring dm with embedded tomcat container be taken to production directly? Or should we move to spring source? How can i benchmark the performance - is it going to be any different from tomcat 6 which is available as a web container/

Thanks a lot
      -rc

Comment

1. Not sure what you mean by a 'built one'. The tomcat setup is documented in the reference documentation. It's just a standard tomcat plus a service activator - you can download it and in fact, the sources are already included in the Spring DM distribution (-with-dependencies.zip)

2. SpringSource is a company not a product. As mentioned in the reference documentation, the tomcat setup is offered as-is - there is no support offered for it. This doesn't mean that it's no good.
        My recommendation would be dm Server - it offers everything that Spring DM does plus a lot more (see the reference documentation plus the many blogs).
        It provides a web container (just like Spring DM) but offers dedicated logging and tracing plus advanced troubleshooting.

Spring DM is a library - the web support work and the Tomcat install is offered for convenience. dmServer is a runtime platform based on OSGi.
        While Spring DM is a production-worthy library (it has been used by several big clients for over a year now), my advice for a production-ready OSGi environment is dm Server.

Comment

Working...
        X