Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Spring Dynamic Modules forum decommissioned in favor of Eclipse Gemini Blueprint

With the official first release of Eclipse Gemini Blueprint shipped, the migration of the Spring Dynamic Modules code base to the Eclipse Foundation, as part of the Gemini project, has been completed.

As such, this forum has been decommissioned in favour of the Eclipse Gemini forums.
See more
See less
Invoking SpringDM from Eclipse RC Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invoking SpringDM from Eclipse RC

Hi,
    since a good lot of tine I'm trying to combine a Spring-based database backend with an eclipse Rich Client. The Rich Client has to invoke the SpringDM-based service.

The only solution I found was based on Flavio Donzé's solution to combine both 'worlds': http://swissdev.blogspot.com/2008/06...spring-dm.html
    In his solution the application was invoked from within the rcp project and all the code had to be part of that project. the application context to start the spring things was as well started by the application itself.

In fact I'm trying to invoke an extern SpringDM module to serve the database information on the UI. Extending the 'flavio-solution' worked. But when I try to invoke the Spring DM service from a pure RCP client which does not own an application context on his own, the extern service is started, but no application context invokes.

I'm using eclipse 3.4, Spring 2.5 and SpringDM 1.2.0. Anybody in the world ever solved a similar issue?

Thx in advance,
    Dagmar

If I understand you correctly, you try to build a backend server that uses Spring and a client application that uses Eclipse RCP. In the end you have a general client-server setting - and there are many general purpose solutions to invoke a backend server from a rich client (Spring Remoting, RMI, Web-Services, whatever...). From my point of view you can use all of these communication protocols in your setting.

If you would like to utilize Spring-Remoting, you could use Spring-DM on the client side as well (together with Eclipse RCP). Another option is "distributed OSGi", which allows you to promote OSGi services as remote services and use them from another OSGi instance via the general OSGi service mechanism. For this you would need some additional bundles that implement this "distributed OSGi" stuff (Eclipse ECF does it, Apache has another implementation, etc.).

HTH,
    Martin

Comment

Working...
    X