Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Spring Dynamic Modules forum decommissioned in favor of Eclipse Gemini Blueprint

With the official first release of Eclipse Gemini Blueprint shipped, the migration of the Spring Dynamic Modules code base to the Eclipse Foundation, as part of the Gemini project, has been completed.

As such, this forum has been decommissioned in favour of the Eclipse Gemini forums.
See more
See less
Spring MVC web application not working. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring MVC web application not working.

Hi,

I am referring to the tutorial available at http://springosgi.googlepages.com/ch05.html for deploying the simpleweb application war provided in the tutorial itself.

I already have the spring dm target platform setup. When I run the modules in equinox within eclipse I get a message

HTML Code:
    INFO: Successfully deployed bundle [Simple Web MVC Bundle (simpleweb.war)] at [/springmvc] on server org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService/1.0
    However when I try to access the URL http://localhost:8080/springmvc, I get 404 error from apache.

Is the application deployed under different context?

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,
    Shashi

Hi,

The application started working.

In the tutorial at http://springosgi.googlepages.com/ch05.html the prerequisite section mentions about the fragment bundles for the configuration of the catalina and the server. I had not used these fragments earlier since I did not want to customize anything on the tomcat. Also the server started and the application was deployed without these fragment bundles.

However adding these fragment bundles made the application work. I am still puzzled, how?

Could somebody please throw some light on this?

Thanks,
    Shashi

Comment

Take a look at their content - tomcat per-se is composed out of classes and configuration. The fragment contain the configuration relevant to a specific setup - if you change the config, you just have to change the fragments and keep the Tomcat classes/bundle/library intact.
      If the config and the classes would be merged, you would have to issue a new version/bundle each time the config would change.

Comment

Hi Costin,

Thanks for your reply.

I am a newbie in this area and I am still confused.

I agree that the fragment bundles for configuration would be required to maintain custom configuration of the tomcat/catalina. However without this custom configuration, shouldn't application work? It didn't, hence I am confused.

Thanks,
        Shashi

Comment

The configuration in this case is critical - w/o the container doesn't know how to start. There is no fallback configuration, no defaults - the fragments (and its content) are mandatory.

Comment

Working...
          X