Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Spring Dynamic Modules forum decommissioned in favor of Eclipse Gemini Blueprint

With the official first release of Eclipse Gemini Blueprint shipped, the migration of the Spring Dynamic Modules code base to the Eclipse Foundation, as part of the Gemini project, has been completed.

As such, this forum has been decommissioned in favour of the Eclipse Gemini forums.
See more
See less
Which spring version to use? 2.5.6 or 2.5.6.A? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which spring version to use? 2.5.6 or 2.5.6.A?

I've seen a few different projects answer this question as 2.5.6.A, but I note that the code for the spring-osgi project uses 2.5.6. Can anyone provide guidance on what I should be using if I'm going to be using the next release of Spring DM 1.2.0? And what is the difference between 2.5.6 and 2.5.6.A? A quick look at the manifests makes me think they're pretty much identical.

Well, a search showed this:

http://forum.springsource.org/showth...hlight=2.5.6.A

But I guess I still don't know what the answer is. It appears from everything I'm reading that the groupId and artifactId are moving to the form:

Code:
        <dependency>
          <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
          <artifactId>org.springframework.core</artifactId>
          <version>2.5.6.A</version>
        </dependency>
    But that the spring-osgi trunk still uses:

Code:
            <dependency>
              <artifactId>spring-core</artifactId>
              <version>${spring.maven.artifact.version}</version>
            </dependency>
    Where ${spring.maven.artifact.version} is 2.5.6. So which should I use? Or is it going to be different depending on which repository you use (Apache vs. Spring)? I'd prefer that they be the same personally

Comment

We're aware that the difference in naming causes a lot of unneeded problems and we're trying to sort this out. In the upcoming Spring DM 1.2 release we're using the Spring 3.0 naming conventions which are currently used in SpringSource Enterprise Bundle Repository (EBR).
      In fact, it would be great if you could use the upcoming Spring DM nightly build.

Comment

Sure, I'm currently using:

Code:
            <dependency>
              <artifactId>org.springframework.core</artifactId>
              <version>2.5.6.A</version>
            </dependency>
        And I think that's the new format. I'll give the nightly a try then.

Comment

I've started the nightly build which should be ready in about 20 minutes : http://build.springframework.org/browse/OSGI-NIGHTLY

Comment

I'm probably being dense, but I have never used bamboo before and I'm not seeing where to download the nightly artifacts. Or maybe they're in a maven repo somewhere? In any case, I'm going to build from source, hopefully that will allow me to test what you want me to.

Comment

You can download the artifacts from our S3 snapshot repo: http://www.springsource.org/osgi#repos
              I gave the link to Bamboo as I wasn't sure if (and when) the build will complete. I'll see whether there is an integration between Bamboo and S3 so the artifacts can be downloaded directly from the build server.

Cheers,

Comment

Ok, I'll give that a try. Just a heads up, I pulled trunk and tried to do a build (mvn -P equinox,samples clean install) and am getting some integration test failures:

Code:
                Failed tests:
                  testHtmlPage(org.springframework.osgi.samples.simplewebapp.OsgiHttpIntegrationTest)
                  testHelloServlet(org.springframework.osgi.samples.simplewebapp.OsgiHttpIntegrationTest)
                  testResourceServlet(org.springframework.osgi.samples.simplewebapp.OsgiHttpIntegrationTest)
                  testJSP(org.springframework.osgi.samples.simplewebapp.OsgiHttpIntegrationTest)

Comment

Ugh, never mind, that was me. Note to self, don't build Spring DM when you have your own test running on port 8080

Comment

That tends to happen to me from time to time as well (even on the build server). I wanted to move the port but then we ran into some issues with various firewalls - 8080 is more or less standard and doesn't require any extra configuration so we just let it be.
                    Anyway Craig, feedback is always welcome so if something goes wrong or doesn't work as expected (i.e. the paths in Eclipse are wrong or there is a missing dependency), fire away.

Comment

Will do, it built and the dependencies are what I was expecting you would do, so looking positive so far. I'm going to change my project over to using these and I'll let you know either way, success or failure

Comment

Sorry for taking so long to get to this, been fighting our spring security configuration

The spring artifact changes using 2.5.6.A worked fine for me, I didn't have any problems integrating the new build into my existing implementation that uses spring 2.5.6.A and the new artifact naming for spring.

One comment, however. When I started this migration I'd planned on using 1.1.3 since it is the stable release. I changed to the RC though since I knew we wouldn't be releasing our OSGi version before 1.2 is likely to be released. Anyway, I had the new style artifactId's for spring-osgi in my maven dependencies for the 1.1.3 release, but you're still using the old style artifact Id's in your poms. Is that going to change before the release?

I guess this isn't as big a deal to me, but I'm asking more out of curiosity. It would only be a problem if you're going to release both the old and new style artifactId's like you apparently did for 1.1.3.

Does that make sense? It's hard to talk about this stuff without being overly verbose

Comment

Not sure if I understand your question exactly, but the artifactId for Spring DM are not going to change. It's too late in the game to do that - we're probably going to perform the change for Spring DM 2.0.

Comment

Understood, thanks for the reply. What I mean is that I suppose Spring EBR will use the new style artifactIds (e.g. spring-osgi-web will become org.springframework.osgi.web) but repo1 at apache will use spring-osgi-web. It's unfortunate, but I can deal with it.

Comment

Right - the difference in naming was an unfortunate choice. However, starting with Spring DM 2.0, the project will align itself with the EBR naming convention.

Comment

Working...
                              X