Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Spring Dynamic Modules forum decommissioned in favor of Eclipse Gemini Blueprint

With the official first release of Eclipse Gemini Blueprint shipped, the migration of the Spring Dynamic Modules code base to the Eclipse Foundation, as part of the Gemini project, has been completed.

As such, this forum has been decommissioned in favour of the Eclipse Gemini forums.
See more
See less
Spring-DM on Oracle AS Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring-DM on Oracle AS

Hi there,

I am currently in the process to evaluate OSGI to get some form of modularization into our web application development process.

Our stack looks like this:

JSF 1.1 + Facelets
    Spring 2.5
    Hibernate 3

As I'm quite into the "Spring way" I would love to use SPRING-DM. The problem I see is that I can not use the web support part on an Oracle application server (OC4J 10.1.3). I would instantly drop OC4J, but it is a requirement on our customers side.

I've found that Equinox has some form of a servlet bridge to use OSGI on a JEE app server like the one we use.

Am I able to mix these two approaches - using the Equinox servlet bridge and Spring-DM together?

I guess we won't see a native WAR deployer support in DM for OC4J anytime soon, am I right?

I don't really care about on the fly deploying / undeploying of WARs. My main intention is to break up the application into reusable modules (without EJB) since some parts are of use for several projects for our customer (and are copy pasted right now for every new web project).

Any hint is highly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
    Daniel
    Last edited by daniel.soneira; Jun 29th, 2010, 07:53 AM. Reason: grammar

In order to use the web support in Spring-DM you'd need to get access to the OC4J classloader and change it which I assume is not that easy. Probably it can be done but nobody requested this and with the merger between Oracle and BEA, it would be interesting to see what will be the faith of OC4J as it is today.
    The servlet brige is not supported by Spring-DM as it takes a different approach - basically your web application is an OSGi framework which contains some bundles in it.
    In this case, Spring-DM itself would sit behind the servlet bridge and thus it would not be able to configure it.
    Using the servlet bridge with Spring-DM should be possible though I haven't used it myself - however, you won't be able to use Spring-DM web support.

Hope this helps,

Comment

Working...
    X