Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Spring Dynamic Modules forum decommissioned in favor of Eclipse Gemini Blueprint

With the official first release of Eclipse Gemini Blueprint shipped, the migration of the Spring Dynamic Modules code base to the Eclipse Foundation, as part of the Gemini project, has been completed.

As such, this forum has been decommissioned in favour of the Eclipse Gemini forums.
See more
See less
Does Spring/OSGI suit our project ? opinions Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Spring/OSGI suit our project ? opinions

Hi,

We work on a pretty large Swing (Open Source) project already embedding tens of features and we are looking for a technology allowing to switch progressively from a monolitic (even if we apply numerous isolation-oriented design patterns of course) to a component/plugin-oriented one, this, in particular, to allow more developers to bring new features as plugins without having to dive into the whole project code and rules.

However, we have hardly no resources to rewrite or refactor the project this deep. What we would like basically is to keep the existing features monolithic and build a plugin system for new features from our won and or from others. So here's finally our questions (we have to say that we found hardly no resources helping us to make an opinion, it's probably more a matter of experience) :

* Is Spring/OSGI right to bring plugin behavior on top of an existing architecture without breaking it all ?
    * Is this technology right for Swing particular technology (we think here of entry points for instance). It's still unclear for us if OSGI actually comes with a Swing or GUI plugin architecture.
    * Any other opinion / advices / doc pointers are welcomed for us to succeed our plugin architecture choice.

Thank you.

I cannot comment on OSGi and Swing (the RCP forum might) but I think moving to OSGi in the long term is a good thing. Of course, I'm biased here so take my opinion with a bit of salt. Modularizing a product in small pieces has benefits in the long term since it makes you think about the structure and teh dependencies and further more, it enforces it at runtime. There are many stories that can be said here so I recommend you do some googling. I recall a blog entry (which I cannot find) about such a migration.
    Note however that it depends a lot on your project needs and resources - the tools for OSGi aren't as mature as some people would like them to be and it takes some time to get adjusted to the new module.
    In my opinion, with proper due diligence and discipline, the changes can be nicely rolled even in big teams. As always, take small steps...

Hope this helps,

Comment

Working...
    X