Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Spring Dynamic Modules forum decommissioned in favor of Eclipse Gemini Blueprint

With the official first release of Eclipse Gemini Blueprint shipped, the migration of the Spring Dynamic Modules code base to the Eclipse Foundation, as part of the Gemini project, has been completed.

As such, this forum has been decommissioned in favour of the Eclipse Gemini forums.
See more
See less
OSGI in Non Spring DM Server Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSGI in Non Spring DM Server

Hi ,

I am very new to OSGI. I have tried to search previous threads and have not quite got the anwser i am looking for. Please forgive any replication.

1) Is it possible to use the Spring Dynamic modules project without using Spring DM Server as a deployment platform? we only have a normal J2ee application server.

2) I am considering embedding osgi in a Spring MVC Web application deployed on a plain Tomcat. The reason for embedding is because i have URLS exposed to other services, i was thinking of hooking into OSGI from my web app. How would i go about doing this? The concept of embedding tomcat inside OSGI doesnt seem like an option to me.

Hello.

Originally posted by MC1 View Post
    Hi ,

I am very new to OSGI. I have tried to search previous threads and have not quite got the anwser i am looking for. Please forgive any replication.

1) Is it possible to use the Spring Dynamic modules project without using Spring DM Server as a deployment platform? we only have a normal J2ee application server.
    Yes, it's possible, but you must use one of OSGi frameworks (Felix, Equinox, Knopplerfish) to get it work.
    Only one J2EE AS can deploy bindles - Glassfish.

Originally posted by MC1 View Post
    2) I am considering embedding osgi in a Spring MVC Web application deployed on a plain Tomcat. The reason for embedding is because i have URLS exposed to other services, i was thinking of hooking into OSGI from my web app. How would i go about doing this? The concept of embedding tomcat inside OSGI doesnt seem like an option to me.
    It's very important to understand, do you really need OSGi or you can solve your task in common way.

But if you want to use OSGi platform, you could do next things:

Version 1:
    1. Build you app as OSGi application.
    2. embed web server into OSGi framework.
    3. deploy your bundles into OSGi enviromnent and you will get osgi web application.

Version 2:
    1. Pack you app as web application.
    2. Download karaf or spring dm server.
    3. deploy your application as a simple web application.

Version 3 (true way):

All from version 1 + karaf or spring sm server + proper web bundle.
    How to do and deploy bundles with web support you could read at "Spring DM Modules Guide".

Comment

Working...
    X